The CDC recommends “universal use of face masks in indoor (non-household) settings” to prevent transmission of COVID-19. However, until now, there has been no reliable data on mask compliance, as most sources are self-reported, likely biased, and inaccurate.
RealNetworks® has developed MaskCheck™ to encourage people to wear masks in public spaces and help gather real-time, accurate behavioral face mask compliance data which can be used to help communities re-open faster and safely.
What is MaskCheck?
MaskCheck powered by SAFR® from RealNetworks is a free face mask compliance app, service and data platform, available for iOS and Android devices.
- Encourages proper wearing of face masks in public spaces
- Provides a safer environment for staff and customers
- Helps gather real-time, accurate behavioral face mask compliance data
- Provides statistics to policy makers and public health departments to make data-informed decisions to re-open safely
Detects presence or absence of a face mask
Results in less than 1 second
Detects if a mask is worn improperly
Supports custom audio and visual responses
Send SMS alerts to an admin when an unmasked face is detected
No face recognition
MaskCheck is composed of:
The free, easy to install app uses artificial intelligence to assess face mask compliance, encourages proper usage, and reports aggregated and non-personally identifiable information (non-PII) based mask compliance data. It detects faces as people walk past the tablet’s camera, and determines if they are wearing a mask (properly) or not. It provides visual feedback to encourage compliance. No interaction is required, and no images or PII are collected or saved.
A public health data repository service
The back-end infrastructure aggregates anonymous data submitted by a growing network of MaskCheck enabled devices and/or closed-circuit television (CCTV) systems. The data includes compliance based on geographic location, classification of location, and non PII-based demographic information.
A visualization map and data platform
The frequently updated mask compliance data feed can be used by any and all concerned parties under a free creative commons license, accessed via APIs by anyone in the world. This dynamic dataset is also visually represented via live dashboards in our MaskCheck Map at: https://safr.real.com/maskmap. Its content will continue to grow in tandem with MaskCheck deployment.
What data is collected by MaskCheck?
- Date, time and location
- Total number of persons detected
- Number of persons detected wearing a mask
- Number of persons detected wearing a mask properly
- Number of persons detected without a mask
- Estimated age (user option)
- Estimated gender (user option)
- Image (user option, off by default)
- MaskCheck does NOT collect facial images or PII data
How MaskCheck works
MaskCheck determines if a person is wearing a mask when they enter a business or other public space.
- Download the free MaskCheck app
- Create a free MaskCheck account
- Choose audio and visual responses, and name the device location
- Set up your MaskCheck-enabled device* at your desired location and begin screening.
- Make sure to position your device at any location where people will pass one at a time
When a person steps in front of the screen, MaskCheck determines if they are wearing an appropriate protective face covering, and a visual — and optional audio — response will be triggered:
“Thanks for wearing a mask, come on in!”
“Please put on a face mask, we require masks to enter.”
*Detailed instructions can be found in the Setup Guide.
Get MaskCheck Now
MaskCheck is immediately available as a free App for Apple and Android devices in the Apple iOS App and Google Play stores. Download it now!